An alleged victim of Benjamin Mendy has claimed the France international tried to silence her after he raped her three times in a bedroom where the footballer defined her by stealing his mobile phone from her. “Don’t tell anyone and you can come back here every night,” the 20-year-old said, quoting the footballer, in hard-to-sustain testimony released Thursday at the player’s trial in Chester, near Liverpool.
A door that opened with a fingerprint
The alleged victim reported meeting Mendy and friends on an outing near the footballer’s home in October 2020 and agreeing to go there afterwards. On the spot, while she was consulting her phone, Mendy grabbed it, accusing her of having taken photos of him, according to her. She then followed him into the house, to his bedroom, the opening of which was triggered by fingerprint. The door closed behind them.
“Look, I want my phone, I don’t know what you’re thinking. I don’t want to have sex with you,” she recalled saying. The player’s response, according to her: “anyway, the door is locked”. Mendy then forced her to undress and raped her three times in about twenty minutes, despite her repeated refusals: “I don’t want to do this (…) I have to leave”. “My body was so tense, I was in a lot of pain,” she recalled, saying that she bled after these forced reports.
Mendy reportedly bragged about having sex with “10,000 women”
She claimed that Mendy, after the rapes, called him “shy”, bragged about having had sex with “10,000”, and tried to obtain his silence in exchange for a return to the days following. “As if it had been a privilege to come every night to do this with him,” said the young woman again. Aged 28, the French defender, suspended for a year by Manchester City, compared for eight rapes, an attempted rape and a sexual assault against seven women.
The prosecution presented her as a “predator” who abused “vulnerable, terrified and isolated” victims. He denies the ten counts brought against him for facts which will occur between October 2018 and August 2021 at his home in Prestbury, Cheshire. He faces life imprisonment. The highly publicized trial, which is taking place at Chester Crown Court, is expected to last more than three months.