National News

BBC apologizes for mistaken football rape accusation – RT Sport News


BBC News was forced to issue an on-air apology after it mistakenly showed a picture of Chelsea and England star Raheem Sterling when airing a segment about a still-unnamed Premier League player who was arrested for alleged sexual offences.

Sterling’s image was used in a different story regarding his recent move from Manchester City to Chelsea, but was again shown behind presenter Mike Bushell as he gave an update on the arrest on Thursday morning.

Later, one of Bushell’s colleagues said that a “technical error” was to blame for the confusion and pointed out that Sterling is “totally disconnected” with the allegations.

“In our sports bulletin earlier, due to a technical error, the wrong image appeared in connection with the story of a Premier League player arrested for alleged sexual offences”, it has been said.

“A photo of a different and totally independent player was shown. We apologize for this error.”

BBC News added that they would repeat the apology in the channel’s next sports bulletin, with its original report referring to the anonymous player who was apprehended in north London on July 4 following rape allegations made by a woman in her twenties. month.

The man was later re-arrested while in police custody amid new allegations he raped another woman last year in April and June.


The 29-year-old has been released on bail until August and denies the allegations.

Moreover, his equally unnamed club confirmed on Wednesday that they would not suspend him.

“We are aware of the allegations which are currently the subject of a police investigation,” explained the club to The Athletic.

“We have confirmed that the player denies the allegations and is on police bail pending the outcome of their investigations.

“No charges have been laid and the player can fulfill his professional commitments, including authorized travel.”

You can share this story on social media:



Rt

Back to top button