The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) resumed operations in Sudan on Monday, two weeks after ceasing work when three of its staff were killed in fighting that rocked the country.
“While the crisis of Sudan plunges millions of people into hunger, WFP immediately lifts the temporary suspension put in place following the tragic deaths of our team members,” said General Manager Cindy McCain. writing on Twitter. “WFP is rapidly resuming its programs to provide the life-saving assistance that many desperately need at this time.”
On April 15, clashes erupted across Sudan between forces loyal to two rival generals: Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the country’s de facto ruler, and Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti. Other countries rushed to evacuate their citizens.
The following day, the WFP said three of its staff had been killed and two others injured in “violence” while on duty in the North Darfur region. It requested a temporary halt to its operations to review the security situation.
Sudan was already facing a severe hunger crisis before the violence erupted, which “could push millions more into hunger”, the WFP said.
In an interview last month, before fighting began in Sudan, McCain told POLITICO the world was facing a potentially “catastrophic” hunger crisis this year, and called on non-Western countries to contribute more.