National News

Most Americans oppose Biden’s foreign policy – poll – RT World News


Latest Economist/YouGov poll shows Republicans and independents strongly critical of US president

The majority of Americans strongly or somewhat oppose President Joe Biden’s foreign policy, according to the results of an Economist/YouGov poll released Wednesday. Even among Democrats, one in five do not support Biden’s handling of the world, while independents are more in tune with Republicans, the survey showed.

Only 16% of 1,500 adult US citizens surveyed said “strongly approve” of how Biden handles foreign policy, the poll shows. Another 25% “somewhat” approve, for a total of 41%. Meanwhile, 37% strongly disapprove and 14% somewhat disapprove, for a combined total of 51%.

When the question was narrowed down to the 1,312 registered voters, disapproval rose to 53% while Biden’s support soared to 42%.

Interestingly, the poll was heavily weighted in favor of Democrats, with 540 of those polled identifying as such, compared to just 382 Republicans and 572 independents.

Unsurprisingly, Democrats still support their man in the White House, with 74% backing his foreign policy. However, nearly one in five – 19% – do not. Only 12% of Republicans approve of Biden’s diplomacy, while 85% disagree. Among independents, combined disapproval stands at 57%, while only 28% approve of Biden’s foreign policy, and just 8% strongly.

The survey was conducted from August 13-16, just around the anniversary of Kabul’s fall to the Taliban last year. It sparked the collapse of the Afghan government that Biden said would never happen, and a panicked scramble to board US military flights from the Afghan capital.

You can share this story on social media:

Rt

Back to top button