A fire in Brooklyn that claimed the lives of a loving mother and her two daughters left loved ones overwhelmed with grief for answers on Saturday.
Danielle Havens, 48, and her daughters – Journee Miles, 11, and Kelsee Miles, 9 – were found inside the third floor apartment on Gates Avenue near Tompkins Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, where a fire broke out in the family’s kitchen just after 5 a.m. Friday, authorities said.
“I need time. I’m going through a lot,” devastated dad Kwan Joseph Miles told The Post on Saturday.
“I can’t talk to you right now,” repeated Dawn Havens, Danielle’s sister.
The beloved mother and daughters never had a chance despite the heroic efforts of the FDNY, which declared the deadly fire a tragic accident.
FDNY firefighters determined the fire was “Accidental due to negligence in the kitchen. A smoke detector was not present,” the department tweeted.
A next-door neighbor said Havens moved into the Bed-Stuy home with her daughters less than a year ago, but the family had many happy times.
Traces of hopscotch games remained on the sidewalk.
Mom and her daughters enjoyed posing for fun photos.
Journee was a model child, and photos of her appeared in the “Love Is” baby book edited by former New York First Lady Chirlane McCray, according to Havens on Facebook.
Photos of Journee’s younger models appeared in Essence magazine and a Mastercard ad in addition to the McCray-edited book, which was distributed to 200,000 families across the city to promote reading around 2015.
The girls enjoyed the ballet and preened for the camera, according to another snap.
“All [Havens] did it, she did it with her children. She was beautiful,” grieving neighbor Darlene Brown-Bezear said.
FDNY Commissioner Laura Kavanagh told reporters during a Friday briefing that firefighters responded to the burning building within three minutes and encountered “heavy smoke and fire upon arrival.”
The convicted mother and children suffered from burns and smoke inhalation and were not breathing when first responders arrived, EMS Chief Michael Fields said.
They were intubated and given hydroxocobalamin — a drug meant to reverse the effects of cyanide overdoses, Fields said.
The mother and daughters were transported to Woodhull Medical Center, where they were pronounced dead, officials said.
The fire was brought under control around 5:45 a.m.
Only the family dog survived the fire, according to a neighbor.
In response to Friday’s deadly fire, the FDNY Fire Safety Education Unit was on the block until early Saturday afternoon to share safety information.
Mayor Eric Adams on Friday noted the intensity of a mother’s love for her children and said the tragedy had affected the entire city.
“In losing two children, our thoughts are with the family, the neighbors, the neighborhood,” he said.