A University of Queensland student who is fighting for his life after accidentally eating rat poison in Taiwan has been booked for a medical evacuation flight, according to his family.
Alex Shorey, 24, from Toowoomba, had been on an exchange program at Tamkang University in Taipei for nearly a year before being poisoned with superwarfarin just before Easter.
He has been in Taipei Medical University Hospital since April 18, but his family wanted him to be taken back to Australia for treatment to save his life.
The lack of effective treatment and the language barrier prompted Alex’s parents, who are currently with him in Taiwan, to attempt to bring him home for recovery.
Mr Shorey’s aunt, Elizabeth Shorey-Kitson, launched GoFundMe earlier this week to raise the more than $170,000 needed to bring him home urgently.
Alex Shorey had been studying in Taiwan for a year
Alex’s parents are in Taiwan with him and are desperately trying to bring him home
Nearly 3,000 people gave to the fund for a total of $208,682.
“We are so overwhelmed and humbled by the amount of love, support and kindness we have received, and thanks to the generosity of all of you, our journey to bring Alex home is now underway,” Ms. Shorey Kitson.
“It was a huge 24/36 hours and now to have reached our goal and booked Alex on a plane has left us with tears of joy.” We still can’t believe it!
Alex’s parents, Steve and Julie, and his brother Jean-Luc, said they were touched by the messages of support from those who donated.
“We have attempted three flights over the past few weeks, each of which has been canceled as Alex’s condition deteriorated further just before departure as poison coursed through his body causing further complications,” they wrote in an update.
“So to have the assurance that we can now fund the medical support and specialist medical recovery services that he needs is absolutely amazing.”
Alex’s tragedy began earlier this month when he woke up one morning covered in blood.
The family have so far raised $208,682 after launching the GoFundMe page (pictured, left to right, Jean-Luc, Alex, the boys’ grandmother and their mother)
Ms Shorey-Kitson said the dramatic symptoms continued for several days over several trips to hospital until he was rushed to intensive care.
Due to the delay, Alex’s organs are severely damaged and he suffers respiratory failure, is barely conscious, and suffers from anemia.
Alex was only weeks away from returning home to Australia when he ingested the poison.
Origin: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk