Aleksandr Usyk will have his hand up against Anthony Joshua again when the two heavyweight boxers meet in Jeddah on August 20, according to former Russian champion Alexander Povetkin.
After securing a unanimous decision victory in Joshua’s backyard at London’s Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last September, Usyk lifted the Briton of the WBA (Super), IBF, WBO and IBO heavyweight titles and will defend them for the first time in a rematch. held in the Saudi city in just over a fortnight.
As is common with a big fight approaching, several notable soft science personalities are asked to make their predictions on the outcome of the potential box office success, with former WBA king Povetkin sharing his his thoughts for Match TV.
“I will support Usyk”, Povetkin revealed, despite tensions between their two countries due to their ongoing conflict.
“In the first fight he did everything right, [he] did not miss.
“The only thing here is that if Joshua changes something in his preparation and his plan, then something could be different, [but] I think Usyk should win.” added Povetkin, who was stopped by Joshua in a fight in 2018.
While Usyk-Joshua II must be purchased a la carte in most countries or viewed on the DAZN subscription platform, Usyk has guaranteed that those in his homeland will be able to enjoy the fight for free.
As revealed by his promoter Alex Krassyuk, Usyk tried to buy the television rights himself from the Saudi organizers of the fight who then offered them to him for free.
Usyk played a role in defending his homeland by taking up arms at the start of the Russian military operation, but this led to him being stripped of his honors in Crimea, where he is from.
“Every day I was there I was praying and saying, ‘Please God, don’t let anyone try to kill me. Please don’t let anyone shoot me. And s ‘please don’t force me to shoot another person’. he recalled to the Guardian recently, of his time patrolling the streets.
Although he doesn’t want to leave Ukraine, Usyk said it was a trip to the hospital to visit injured soldiers that prompted him to agree to a second battle with Joshua.
“They asked me to go fight [Joshua]to fight for the country, Usyk affirmed. “They said that if you go there, you will help our country even more instead of fighting inside Ukraine.”
Leaving the showdown at the end of March, Usyk began training in Poland and is now just two weeks away from the biggest fight of his career.
Elsewhere in boxing, the next opponent for the winner of the clash has been announced after the WBO ordered a title eliminator between Joe Joyce and Joseph Parker on September 24 this week.
Usyk – a natural cruiserweight who will only complete his fourth heavyweight fight against Joshua – hasn’t faced either man. But Joshua already boasts a unanimous decision win in March 2018 over New Zealander Parker at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.
Usyk promises immediate return to Ukraine after Joshua rematch
While no pugilist is looking past their next foes, however, the real money has to be made by coaxing The Ring and WBC executive Tyson Fury out of a supposed retirement to see the first undisputed champion. heavyweights of the four-belt era. crown.
Fury and Joshua seemed to have agreed on a pair of matchups last year, but Usyk then threw a spanner in the works by embarrassing Joshua in what has been dubbed one of the biggest road wins ever. all the time.
You can share this story on social media: