Business

Venezuela seeks warrants for 23 former petrochemical executives -minister


CARACAS, Sept 22 (Reuters) – Venezuela has sought international arrest warrants for 23 former executives of a petrochemical company in Colombia, Venezuelan Oil Minister Tareck El Aissami said on Thursday.

President Nicolas Maduro’s administration said earlier this week that his government had regained control of Venezuelan fertilizer maker Monomeros Colombo-Venezolanos, following a 2019 takeover by the opposition led by Juan Guaido. .

The Colombian Business Superintendency, responsible for business inspection and oversight functions, this month ratified the company’s new board of directors.

The executives are accused by Venezuela of improperly managing the Barranquilla-based company, an overseas unit of Venezuela’s state petrochemical company Pequiven, El Aissami said.

The defendants “are directly implicated (…) in all these deceptions and conspiracies which led to the destruction of Monomeros”, he declared.

Among them are Guillermo Rodríguez Laprea and Carmen Elisa Hernández, former top executives of Monomeros.

Guaido had taken control of Monomeros shortly after being recognized by the United States and other countries as Venezuela’s rightful leader, following Maduro’s 2018 re-election, which they called a sham .

The new changes in control of Monomeros come as Maduro and Colombia’s newly elected first left-wing president, Gustavo Petro, seek to restore and strengthen economic and military ties.

The Colombian Business Superintendence has been intervening at Monomeros since 2021 to restore order in the company. (Reporting by Deisy Buitrago; Editing by Richard Chang) (([email protected] Twitter: @ReutersVzla; (+58-212) 6552653;)) Tags: VENEZUELA COLOMBIA/MONOMEROS

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Nasdaq, Inc.

nasdaq

Back to top button