National News

Warning for shellfish lovers after man dies of bacterial infection due to eating raw oysters at Dania Beach restaurant


DANIA BEACH – Known the world over for its seafood, Dania Beach’s Rustic Inn is making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

In July, the manager confirmed that a customer fell ill and died after eating a raw oyster contaminated with the bacteria known as vibrio vulnificus.

“Vibrio vulnificus is seen in shellfish collected from salt or brackish water,” says Dr. Ade Bamgboye, internal medicine specialist at HCA Florida Northwest Hospital.

He says most people can fight off the infection, but it can be deadly if you have underlying conditions, especially a weakened immune system.

“Things like cancer with chemotherapy treatment, HIV, diabetes,” he said.

The restaurant has signs in the building and on menus warning diners that eating raw shellfish may increase your risk of foodborne illness.

The manager says he thinks the wrong oyster is from Louisiana.

State agencies are investigating.

The restaurant had an inspection at the end of July and passed.

The manager says the oysters’ identification tags were taken down by state regulators.

Last week, another Florida man in Pensacola died after eating raw oysters.

Dr. Bamgboye says that as a general rule, it is best to cook your shellfish to avoid illness.

cnn

Back to top button